- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 1 cup(s) mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 cup(s) cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat sugar, mayonnaise, and vanilla extract until combined. Beat in flour mixture in thirds, alternating with water, until blended. Beat 1 minute, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake 22 to 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
Maraschino Cherry Filling
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries
- pinch of salt
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer beat butter until smooth.
2. With the mixer running, Add 2 cups of powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
3. Add 4 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice, one tablespoon at a time.
4. Continue beating, and add the remaining 2 cups powdered sugar, and chopped maraschino cherries. If desired, add a drop of pink food coloring
5. Beat until fully combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Assemble as you wish.